This is a multi-step process that will result in mind-blowing cookies 🙂
Step 1: Shortbread Cookies
1 Cup Softened Butter (unsalted)
1/2 Cup granulated white sugar
2 1/2 Cups White Flour – in Germany, you can use 1050 or 405. It results in great cookies either way. If you use the 1050, you’ll have to knead the dough until it is soft and uniform. Don’t be alarmed by the “sandy texture”. When it warms up from your kneading, it will feel “normal.”
- Cream butter.
- Add sugar to creamed butter and mix until thoroughly blended.
- Slowly add flour to mixture or add 1/2 cup at a time.
- To be debated: You can cover and chill for at least 4 hours, overnight, or for a few days. OR you can roll and bake immediately, as suggested below.
Step 2: Shape the Cookies
- Choose your desired cookie cutter shape(s).
- Lightly flour a flat surface for rolling the dough. Lightly flour the dough to ease the rolling process.
- Roll dough to approximately 1/4 inch (1 cm) thick. Remember, when choosing thickness: Cookies will puff up slightly and you are going to add another on top.
- Cut cookies so they have a pair — 2 hearts; 2 stars; 2 Santas.
- When cut or rolled into the desired shape, bake at 300 F (150 C) until the bottom is golden brown.
Step 3: Shape the Marzipan
- While cookies are baking, roll marzipan to the thickness of 3 standard credit cards. You can also roll to your own desired thickness.
- Use the same cookie cutter shapes from Step 2 and cut one piece of marzipan for every desired cookie sandwich — 2 heart cookies = 1 heart marzipan; 4 Santa cookies = 2 Santa marzipans
- Set aside for when cookies are completely cooled
Step 4: Cool Cookies Completely
Step 5: Jam or Marmelade Preparation
- Choose flavor of choice.
- Scoop 1/4 cup into microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir. Jame will be a thin liquid.
- Mircowave for 1 additional minute.
- Stir. Jam will be slightly thicker, but still liquid.
- Let jam cool for 5 minutes before placing onto cookies.
This step assures that the jam will not be “dried out” from baking.
Step 6: Assembly
- If your cookies are solid, meaning there is NO center cut out, place 1 piece of appropriately shaped marzipan on one cookie and place 1/4 teaspoon of warm jam/marmelade on the other corresponding cookie.
- Gently press the two cookies together and let cool completely.
- If your cookies have the center cut out, place 1 piece of appropriately shaped marzipan on one cookie and gently press together the corresponding cookie.
- Fill the center hole of the cookie with warm marmelade. The amount depends on the size and depth of the center hole. Let cool completely.
Step 7: Finishing Touches
- Sprinkle Confectioners sugar over cookies OR drizzle melted chocolate over the tops.